BUY TO LET OPPORTUNITIES FOR PRIVATE INVERSTORS
According to Newsec consulting company, Finnish apartment investor market is quite attractive for foreign investors. It is less regulated yet sufficiently standardized compared to many other European countries. (1)
According to KTI Finland (independent research organisation and service company), foreign investors made 19 per cent of all transactions on the Finnish rental residential market in 2018.
Foreign ownership has increased in the Finnish residential property investment market in the past years, and in total, foreign investors currently own more than 11,000 rental dwellings in Finland. Round Hill Capital, Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing and Aberdeen Standard Investments are already made their investments in Finnish residential property market. (2)
Additionally, according to RAKLI Rental Residential Property Barometer, some 80 per cent of the respondents expected foreign investors to continue increasing their investments (3)
Improved competitiveness of Finnish economy due to implementation of the new government program (4), strong demand for Finnish products have positively affected export volumes (5). Inflation is still under two per cent Inflation 1.1 per cent in January 2019.(6) Finnish general government debt decreased in2018 (7)
The European Commission's economic forecast for Finland, notes that the country's economic growth continues to be fueled by private consumption and investment, supported by high confidence levels, rising employment and low interest rates.
GDP growth (%, yoy) 2019-1,9% 2020-1,7% / Inflation (%, yoy) 2019-1,4% 2020-1,8% (8)
Prices of dwellings in housing companies in Finland have been rising steadily for long term, see picture 1 below (9) The long-term credit ratings for Finland are strong: Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s and Fitch have rated Finland in the second best category, at AA+ / AA1. According to Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s the outlook as “stable”. Fitch improved the outlook of Finland as “positive” at the end of 2018. (1) Finland is one of the least corrupt countries in the world. (10) The country is number six in the Global Talent Competitiveness Index 2019 rankings (11), which means that Finland performs well in terms of attracting talents to the country. According to the World Happiness Report 2018, Finland is at the top of the countries with the happiest immigrants, and the happiest population in general. (12) Finland ranked first in the world for safety and security, according to a 2017 report by the World Economic Forum.(13)
- Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): International trade in goods and services [e-publication].PISSN=2343-4244. 3rd Quarter 2018. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 12.3.2019]. Access method: stat.fi/til/tpulk/2018/03/tpulk_2018_03_2018-12-14_tie_001_en.html
- Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Consumer price index [e-publication]. ISSN=1799-0254. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 5.3.2019]. Access method: stat.fi/til/khi/index_en.html
- Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): General government debt by quarter [e-publication] ISSN=1799-8034. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 5.3.2019]. Access method: stat.fi/til/jyev/index_en.html
- https://ec.europa.eu/info/business-economy-euro/economic-performance-and-forecasts/economic-performance-country/finland/economic-forecast-finland_en https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/economy-finance/ecfin_forecast_winter_07_02_19_fi_en.pdf
- Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Prices of dwellings in housing companies [e-publication]. ISSN=2323-8801. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 15.3.2019]. Access method: http://www.stat.fi/til/ashi/index_en.html